Every one of us has the right to seek justice in law. When you need legal representation before the court but are unable to afford it because of your means, you may apply for legal aid from the Legal Aid Department (LAD) for proceedings in the District Court, courts of above levels or committal proceedings in the Magistrates’ Courts. For legal representation in Magistrates, Juvenile and Coroner’s Courts, you may apply for the Duty Lawyer Service (the Service).

When you need legal advice on a problem you face, you can use the free legal advice service provided by the Service. You can also pay for a lawyer to give legal advice or represent you in court.